Monday, February 6, 2012

Our babies have arrived!


This weekend was quite a whirlwind of late nights and new additions. Friday night I was up off and on with my daughter who was not feeling well and at 4:00 a.m. I received a phone call. It scared me at first thinking "Who in the world is calling me at this time of night, and whoever it is, are they in trouble?" I was an automated call informing me that my shipment of baby chicks had been mailed. Ok, so this is technically Saturday morning and they are coming from Iowa. There was no way they would make it to my post office by noon on Saturday. They had to be processed at the Kansas City Post Office and then make it to the Wichita Post Office as well. These poor babies would be sitting in the Wichita Post Office for over 24 hours. I was a little concerned for their health and safety at this point. Luckily the Wichita Post Office called me and said they had arrived. The only problem with that was they called me at midnight Saturday night. Again, as the phone rang and registered as Unknown, I was concerned. Luckily a person was on the other end and let me know that the chicks were there and how I could pick them up. I hoped into the car and made it into Wichita by 12:30. We loaded the box of babies into my car and headed home. Back to the house by 1:00 a.m. We got the chicks into the chicken coop and their brooder, dipped their little beaks into the water and feed and let them run to the warm light. They were so cute to watch run and peck at the feed and grit. We spent a good 30 minutes just watching them to make sure the brooder box wasn't too hot or too drafty. The did like to pile up on each other under the light, but after a while, they would venture out and explore. By morning, the were wandering around and not piling up on each other.
The pecking order has already started being established too. It is so funny to watch these chicks try to fight and one-up each other. At one point I saw a chick take hold of another chicks foot and not let go. I did intervene in that one. The little bully wouldn't let go. I normally let nature take it's course, but that poor little chick needed my help this one time. I finally got to bed about 2:30 a.m.
I was up early in the morning for church and to clean the house for a family Super Bowl party. Luckily I did most of the cleaning on Saturday and only had a little picking up to do after church and Sunday School. We watched the Super Bowl and ended up talking to my brother till fairly late, so, three late nights in a row and I'm running on empty. Hopefully some time outside with my family will keep me going.
I'm hoping to work on some of my Farmer's Market projects tonight, since my house is fairly clean. I'll be selling coasters, aprons, up-cycled feed bag shopping bags, hand scrub and some little toadstools made out of old farm disks. It's something I've been wanting to get into and now I have a place to sell them. We will still have vegetables, but will add some other things to bring potential customers to our booth.
Off to see what other adventures await us on our little farm. Until next time, enjoy the Simple Looks at Life!

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed some of your posts! I will follow along. I am a new blogger.
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete