Monday, September 16, 2013

Fresh Meat

This summer we purchased a 4-H pig from one of the kids in our club.  We brought him home to finish feeding him out so he would be ready for the butcher.  We also had a lamb from the fair that we decided to finish feeding out.  Well, this morning was the day.  They went to the locker for processing.  It's always a hard day when you take an animal to a locker for processing.  No matter how hard of a person you are.  If you have put the time, effort and love into raising them, it tears you up a little when you say goodbye. 

Even though it can be a little emotional, knowing that I have helped raise the food my family will be eating makes it all better.  I know that if antibiotics were given, it was minimum and only to help if the animal was injured or sick.  Luckily neither one of these animals were given antibiotics.  We have given them in the past to other animals, but they were needed to keep the animal healthy and it was only a shot or two.  No growth hormones are given when we raise any type of animal and they are given plenty of room to move and play. 

When both the pig and the lamb came home together, they were a little leary of each other.  They didn't grow up together and the lamb's buddies didn't come home with her.  She quit eating for a couple days, so we watched her closely.  After a few days the lamb and the pig got to know each other and they would be caught playing with each other.  The pig would play in the mud puddle we gave him and then he would rub up against the lamb, getting her filthy. 

Now that they are no longer at home, we can switch gears from feeding everyday to getting ready to fill the freezer.  Luckily my parents have freezer room, so some of it may be stored there.  I can't wait to have fresh bacon again.  The stuff you get at the store is a pathetic excuse for bacon.  The "thick cut" variety isn't very thick and when you accidentally grab a package of the regular thickness stuff, it's laughable.  I like my bacon THICK.  The type that has real meat that you have to pull apart or the whole slice will come off the sandwich or whatever you have it on.  That's just me though.  I know lots of people who like it crispy and able to fall apart when you barely touch it. 

Like anything else you grow/raise, it always tastes better when you had a hand in raising it yourself.  Hopefully in a week or so, we'll be enjoying the fruits of our labor!

 

3 comments:

  1. We just recently moved to a rural area and our goal is to run a hobby farm..to grow and raise our own food too. We just purchased chickens..so we are just starting out. I will be curious to see how we do when it comes time to butcher something that we have raised. I am sure I will have to remind myself the same thing that you reminded yourself..it is what is best for the family.

    I just started a blog (I just published my first post today...so totally brand new) at www.gerstfarm.com - I enjoy reading the "adventures" of other homesteaders and farmers. Finding out what works and what doesn,t..etc. i will be checking back in for sure.

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not had to do that yet, but I imagine it will be difficult. I do remember it growing up when Mama and Daddy did. We are currently buying our beef and pork from someone local so I still feel good about that. They do not do bacon though. They will sell the pork belly, but it is not smoked or anything. We have discussed trying to make our own bacon. Do you do that or is it prepared for you?
    Thanks for sharing with us at The HomeAcre Hop!

    Please join us again Thursday at:
    http://summersacres.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-homeacre-hop-38-and-soap-giveaway.html

    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't butchered our own pigs or sheep yet. Not sure I could.....My husband has processed his own deer in the past and we do butcher our own chickens, but that's as far as it's gone with us. I think we could do it, but it's much easier to load them up and have them taken to a butcher. We are doing this in baby steps! :)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete